Powell, Kellim and Barrett Brown (Brown & Brown Insurance) are Shifting Gears on Brain Health.
From 20th - 26th August 2023, they will be cycling the French Alps to raise awareness and funds to support brain health—their term for mental health.
This event, which is known as the Haute Route Alps, is considered to be one of the highest and most challenging amateur cycling events. In seven days, it covers 470 miles and 66,000 feet of total elevation gain, through the mountains of France (Megéveto Nice).
They have a shared goal to raise more than $6 million, to directly benefit non-profit organisations working in brain/mental health research, education, prevention and treatment in the United States, the United Kingdom and Ireland.
For more information on the challenge, and how to donate, visit: Shifting Gears on Brain Health.
Brain Health Facts:
- 1 in 5 U.S. adults experience mental illness each year
- 1 in 20 U.S. adults experience serious mental illness each year
- 1 in 6 U.S. youth aged 6-17 experience a mental health disorder each year
- 50% of all lifetime mental illness begins by age 14, and 75% by age 24
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among people aged 10-14
- 17 million of U.S. adults experienced a co-occurring substance use disorder and mental illness in 2022
- COVID-19 further limited access to mental health and substance-use treatment services for racial and ethnic minority groups