How 'No-Deal' BREXIT will affect driving in the EU


Brexit results may alter the travelling for UK citizens.

In the event of a no-deal, several UK driving laws will change—for both UK citizens and commercial drivers. All drivers are being urged to contact their insurer to arrange a ‘Green Card’, which would be required under EU regulations as proof of insurance in the event of a no-deal.

It is important to arrange this with at least one month in advance to the 29th March 2019 to ensure compliant driving practices post-Brexit.

In the case of a no-deal, starting from the 28th March 2019, UK citizens will have to drive with additional documentation if travelling in to EU or EEA. UK citizens must take with them both UK driving licence and the correct International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in EU and EEA countries. To understand further about the right IDP to travel, visit this page. 

If you hold a UK driving license but you currently live in the EU or EEA, your priority will be exchanging the license for a local EU one before 29th March this year otherwise, a no-deal may require you to undertake a driving test and pass it within the EU country you reside.

Commercial drivers

The government stated that commercial drivers will also need updated documentation to drive within the EU and EEA in the event of a no-deal.

Although UK lorry drivers with international routes to and from the EU or EEA currently must have a standard international operator’s licence and a community licence, some countries may not recognise this documentation in a no-deal. In order to be properly prepared, UK operators need to have an European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) international road haulage permit for international travel. If you have already applied, understand what happens next here 

The application period for ECMT permits closed on 18th January. However, if you didn’t apply for an ECMT permit, consider investigating other options for transporting goods to the EU and EEA.

Lorry drivers should also apply to the relevant body in an EU an EEA where they will have to exchange their UK Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) for an EU Driver CPC.

UK  drivers brexit